Monday, August 25, 2008

"If John be for me..."




Back in the 60s, I had a "black-leathered" friend who attended Longfellow Junior High School with me. His name was John.

In those days, I was of small stature (I still am, I suppose, compared to regulation-size adult human beings). Being one of the "vertically challenged" kids at Longfellow, I was frequently the target of bigger kids, who evidently needed to affirm their bigness.

While I was standing at my hall locker one day, one of the aforementioned bullies approached and began tormenting me. After they had completed their mission of terror, they proceeded down the hall--most likely in search of their next victim.

For now, they were gone. I could breathe again. But, even though I watched them go, I felt I wasn't alone. I sensed someone was standing behind me.

I turned and looked up to find "him" towering over me. Who was him? Him was John--
big, bad, John!

John was one of a couple of guys at Longfellow that you just didn't want to mess with. And here he was. I wasn't looking forward to Round Two. No, I wasn't.

But, thankfully, John wasn't there to shake me down. Quite the opposite. John leaned over and said to me,

"If anyone ever bothers you again, just let me know."

Wow! I knew John wasn't just saying that--I could tell he really meant it!

Well, from that moment on, I knew that if anybody were to mess with me, they would have to answer to my friend, John. I think I grew about a half-a-foot that day. I realized that regardless of whatever (or whomever) may come my way, I could call on the name of "John" and he would be there to protect and defend me. That was a comforting thought. (
Thanks, John!)

It's been many years since I've seen John. But, I've found there are times that I could still use someone bigger than I, someone to help me fight off some of the things I face from time to time. Thankfully, I've found someone--someone even bigger than John--someone who cares for me, watches over me, and will defend me against all my enemies. Someone who has never lost a fight--and never will! His name is
Jesus!

Hey, we all face big challenges in this life. There are giants in the land. It's comforting to know, however, that Jesus is there, and that He really cares, and that He's as close as the mention of His name!

think on these things...
Our help is in the name of the Lord, who made heaven and earth. --Psalm 124:8

The name of the Lord is a strong fortress; the godly run to him and are safe.
--Proverbs 18:10 (NLT)

"When you go out to fight your enemies and you face horses and chariots and an army greater than your own, do not be afraid. The Lord your God, who brought you safely out of Egypt, is with you! Before you go into battle, the priest will come forward to speak with the troops. He will say, 'Listen to me, all you men of Israel! Do not be afraid as you go out to fight today! Do not lose heart or panic. For the Lord your God is going with you! He will fight for you against your enemies, and he will give you victory!'
--Deuteronomy 20:1-4 (NLT)

Then the Spirit of the Lord came upon Jahaziel the son of Zechariah, the son of Benaiah, the son of Jeiel, the son of Mattaniah, a Levite of the sons of Asaph, in the midst of the congregation; and he said, "Listen, all you of Judah and you inhabitants of Jerusalem, and you, King Jehoshaphat! Thus says the Lord to you: `Do not be afraid nor dismayed because of this great multitude, for the battle is not yours, but God's. `Tomorrow go down against them. They will surely come up by the ascent of Ziz, and you will find them at the end of the brook before the Wilderness of Jeruel. `You will not need to fight in this battle. Position yourselves, stand still and see the salvation of the Lord, who is with you, O Judah and Jerusalem!' Do not fear or be dismayed; tomorrow go out against them, for the Lord is with you.''
--2 Chronicles 20:14-17 (NKJV)

What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? --Romans 8:31 (NKJV)

No comments: